Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kevin Gray

My friend, Kevin Gray, passed away yesterday. He was 51. A husband and father, he leaves behind his wife Katie and four daughters after a quick, yet courageous, battle with cancer.

I first met Kevin in the mid-1990's--he was early in his career leading the Greater Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation and I was fresh off my initial work in sports marketing with World Cup USA 1994. Our friendship grew out of that initial business relationship and my involvement on the Sports Commission's Board of Directors.

Kevin was the most passionate cheerleader for Kansas City that I've encountered in my civic involvement. Sometimes Pollyanna, always energetic, Kevin never wavered in his belief that Kansas City was, indeed, a major league town and a great venue for sports of all types and sizes.

The various projects and involvements of Kevin make up a lengthy list. My favorite memory is his leadership of and unwavering belief in the effort to make Sprint Center a reality in downtown Kansas City. From our first back-room, surreptitious meeting on the then dream-of-a-project through the sometimes strident campaign rhetoric to the night of the successful vote and, ultimately, opening night of the arena, Kevin's energy was a key difference-maker.

Kansas City will miss Kevin Gray. I will miss him as well and hope to always remember his love for sports--both major and minor--in this town as well as his dedication to his family, his friends, and his faith.

Rest in peace, Kevin.

No comments:

Post a Comment