Friday, June 26, 2020

My Dad

My father died five years ago today. He was 83.

I miss him every day. Yet, I am thankful that he's not here as I fear that he and I would have major disagreements on the state of our country.

My father was a conservative. He was unwavering in that conservatism. He believed that you either chose one side or the other and had little time for moderates who, in his mind, straddled the issues of the day.

For all of his conservatism and strength of opinion, my father was soft-hearted. His emotions would pour out when seeing his grandchildren or hearing of their exploits. He was fiercely devoted to his wife, and to me, and enjoyed when the broader family would gather. He loved to tease and no one was safe from his digs, be it wife, son, daughter-in-law, parents, parents-in-law, nieces and on and on.

I learned much from my father. But, what's striking to me is how much my children took away from their time with him and my mother.  While it takes a village to raise a child, it certainly helps when grandparents add to and complement the direction provided by parents.

My father's memory was waning fast in the days and weeks prior to his passing. His body had failed him long before. Seeing his mind falter was something that would have been hell to continue to observe.

I miss him. I am blessed to have had him as my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment