Not only does the SEC know how to play football but, if you believe a magazine titled Tailgater Monthly, the conference schools also know how to party before, during and after the game.
SEC schools dominated the top 20 list of best tailgating venues. Tailgater Monthly had these nuggets for each experience:
1. Ole Miss: The Grove has been described as the "Holy Grail of Tailgating."
2. Florida: The stadium, the "Gator Chomp," and "it's Florida."
3. Clemson: "...located in the nation's barbecue belt." (Huh? Did the author ever visit Kansas City?)
4. Washington: "...much of the Husky tailgating scene takes place on water" given the stadium's proximity to Lake Husky.
5. Ohio State: "The tailgating scene is a sight to behold..."
6. Tennessee: "One part tailgating on water, one part smoky barbecue pit, and one part Southern hospitality."
7. LSU: "Night games at LSU rival the insanity that is common to Oakland Raider games."
8. Notre Dame: "Tailgating is a family event."
9. Auburn: "...fans take tremendous pride in the Auburn experience."
10. Oregon: "Remember to bring your rain gear when you come to Eugene..."
11. Alabama: "Pork barbecue...is practically the official food of Alabama."
12. Wisconsin: "Students and fans...don't tailgate as much as they front door-gate" given the proximity of Badger Stadium to the campus.
13. Texas: One of the friendliest tailgating venues, those in burnt orange often offer a beer and food to fans from opposing schools.
14. Arkansas: "...an Arkansas home game is a special experience."
15. Oklahoma: "No foie gras here. Just steaks, ribs, burgers, dogs, beer and a heck of a good time..."
16. Michigan: A diverse scene, from the "socioeconomic background of the fans to the physical terrain where they tailgate."
17. Colorado: "Part old west ruffian outpost, part granola munching hippie enclave..."
18. Penn State: The tailgating scene here is so "over the top" that school officials have banned the consumption of alcohol after kickoff.
19. Georgia: "Girls look damn good in red and black and tens of thousands of them are all over town on game day."
20. UCLA: The Rose Bowl--nuf sed...